Thursday, August 9, 2007

Head Wound



My family and I came up to Lehi/Orem/Sandy to come to a baby blessing, see the family and lots of fun things this week. My sister in law Anna blessed her baby on Sunday the 5th. His name is Joe and he is darling. Such a sweet little baby. Then on Monday we had my bro in law Cody take pictures of my kids for his new picture business that he and Matt Bambrough are just starting up. That was so much fun let me tell ya! The kids were into everything and didn't want to smile and I think Cody wanted to kill Seth. Thats what happens when kids get pictures right? He did get some cute ones I think. I hope.
After that I went to visit my sister Jill at her house. We had pizza and then Jill took me down stairs to see her flooded basement. While we were down there I heard Seth screaming bloody murder. I mean it was a good scream. Jack came running in the house saying that Seth was bleeding from his head and was crying. So I went booking up the stairs and out back. Seth was standing by the swing with his head forward, bawling like a maniac and his head was just bleeding like crazy. I have to admit that I was a little nervous.
I picked him up like an airplane, head down and by the tummy, and headed into the house. I told John that I needed a paper towel and he already had one handy. He put it on his head and we took him into the bathroom. Thats when I saw the damage. It was a pretty good gash in his upper forehead. I don't particularly do very well with the whole blood and gore thing, so its a darn good thing that John was there. We got his washed off and took him into the front room where Jill had the first aid kit ready to go. She is great for helping out with medical emergencies. I must say that I am not prepared for what happend to Seth. Need to get a better first aid kit when I get home. As John was fixing him up and we were sitting there on the front room floor I heard how Seth got hurt. Jill and John have a board swing in the backyard and one of the kids was swinging and Seth walked right in the way. It is one of those board swings with a hole in the middle that hangs from the tree so the corner got him right in the noggin.
It was a pretty good gash and Jill thought that it needed stitches and John didn't say either way but that we should check with grandpa Bill. That is Grandpa Doctor Bill for those of you that don't know that my dad is a doctor. Good thing that he lives close and that we were up in the North for this mishap. Anyway we came to the house of grandpa and he took one look at it and told me we should get in the car and go to the office for stitches. I was not thrilled. I don't like shots etc... I thought that maybe I should send grandma in my place to help with Seth but then I realized that I should be there for him.
Needless to say Seth hated the stitching part and he had to have 13 stitches in his head! He finally fell asleep around the 10th or 11th stitch and that was nice. He had to have 8 shots to numb his head. He kept saying papa I get down now. No papa! He did pretty good for a little dude that is almost 3. That was our first major trauma and Dad wasn't even here. Joe felt terrible that he couldn't be there for his little man. By the next day he was all swollen like a clingon from Star Trek. He looks so different. All puffy and purple. We are all doing fine now so thats good for us. Sorry about the long story, I just had to get in all the details.

1 comment:

Jillian Preston Phippen said...

Still feel bad about the gash and the stitches. We did fix the swing, though...